The Bonsecours Market, a jewel in Montréal's heritage crown, was inaugurated in 1847. A symbol of Montréal's heyday, this imposing building was the city's main agricultural marketplace for over a century. It also housed a concert hall and even served as the City Hall in the early days of Montréal's municipal government. Its symmetrical construction and Doric portico (the columns were cast in England), silver dome, and simple and varied details make it a perfect example of the Neo-Classical style popular at the time. Recent renovations have once again turned it into a bustling marketplace that also features shops and exhibitions.
350, rue St-Paul E., Montréal
Québec, Canada, H2Y 1H2